India Gate brings you some interesting Eid recipes using quinoa.
Mediterranean Pomegranate & Quinoa Salad with Mango Salsa & Olives
- Pomegranate Juice 300ml
- Red wine Vinegar 20ml
- Corn-flour -30g
- Pomegranate seeds – 20g
- Crushed Peanuts -10g
- Diced Mango 40g
- Chopped Red Thai Chilli – 1
- Picked Basil leaves – 20g
- Quinoa – 80g
- Mint leaves – 5g
- Lemon Juice – 1 tspn
- Aragula Leaves – 40g
- Chopped black olives – 20g
- Cook quinoa in stock or water. Dry it. Fold in with julienned basil leaves & lemon juice. Season & chill.
- Reduce the pomegranate juice by almost half. Add corn flour in cold water whisk in.
- Whisk together the reduced pomegranate juice with Vinegar and Olive Oil. Check seasoning. Chill
- Mix together all the other ingredients and fold in the chilled Quinoa. Drizzle the pomegranate dressing.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Tandoori mushrooms with quinoa
Ingredients for marination
- Hung curd- 80 gms
- Cream- 20 gms
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Turmeric small pinch
- Jeera powder – 1/4 tsp
Ingredients for Filling–
- Quinoa – 60 gms boiled
- Cottage Cheese grated – 30 gms
- Coriander chopped- 1 tbsp
- Mushrooms (big enough to be stuffed) -10 pieces
- Marinate the mushrooms with marination ingredients
- Fill the empty stem spaces with the filling ingredients.
- Bake them in an OTG for 15-20 mins at 200 degrees Celsius or till the mushrooms are well cooked.
- Garnished with chopped coriander and ketchup
Curry Quinoa & Chickpeas Buddha Bowl
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ Kitchen king masala
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Chickpea curry
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 onions
- 1 carrots
- 1 cup broccoli
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup boiled chickpeas
- 1 green chilly sliced
- 2 tsp. oil
- 3 pods of garlic
- Pinch of sumac
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup salad leaves
- Add ¼ tsp. kitchen king masala, coriander leaves and salt to boiled quinoa and keep aside
- In a pan heat oil, add garlic and onions and sauté till translucent. Add tomatoes, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add your veggies and cook till done but firm. Add chickpeas and dry spices. Stir, turn off the gas and set aside
- Take a bowl and in your mind split it three parts.
- Add curried quinoa in one part, the chickpeas curry in another and your salad greens in the last.
Chicken Quinoa Biryani
1 medium chicken cut into 8 pieces 1.5 cups quinoa 1/2 teaspoon sea salt 2 cardamom pods, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 whole cloves(spices for cooking the quinoa) 2 onions thinly sliced For the Marinade: 1.5 cups plain yogurt 1/4 cup olive oil 2 whole cardamom pods 1 whole cinnamon stick 2 whole cloves 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (whole or ground) 2 teaspoons sea salt 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped 1-2 green chilli peppers, seeds removed and chopped (optional) 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice fresh cilantro and mint, chopped
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and add the chicken. Cover and leave in the fridge for 6-8 hours.
- In a large pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the quinoa with the salt and “spices for cooking the quinoa” and cook for about 7 minutes, until the quinoa is half way cooked. Strain the water from the quinoa.
- Sauté the onions in butter until lightly brown.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, put the chicken with all its marinade in the bottom. Add half of the quinoa.
- Sprinkle some chopped coriander/mint leaves and the sautéed onions. Then add the remaining quinoa.
- Cover the dish tightly and cook for 5 minutes on high heat, then 15 minutes on medium heat. Continue cooking on low heat until chicken is cooked through (about 10 more minutes).
- Serve with your choice of garnishing with coriander leaves or fried onion slices.
Quinoa hazelnut Laddoos
Ingredients for Laddoos:
- 100 g cooked quinoa
- 150 g hazelnut powder
- 50 g crushed hazelnut pieces
- 50 g icing sugar
- 30 g hazelnut paste/ nutella
- 2 mashed bananas
Ingredients for coating
Dark chocolate approx. 250 g for coating
1 packet digestive biscuits
- Combine all the ingredients for ladoos and make small balls and freeze for 30 minutes until firm
- Melt dark chocolate and dip each ball in it and coat with digestive biscuits and let it set and serve chilled