– not just for their health but also for the cows!
How does it matter to the cows, you may ask. Well, it does. Recent research published by Newcastle University showed that organic milk contains less unhealthy fat, as well as a range of important healthy nutrients. The reason? Organically-farmed dairy cows are fed mainly on that old-fashioned substance, grass. We get to know more from Maria Baghdoyan, Nutritionist at Nestle Middle East, who have launched their first Ever Organic Growing Up Milk Made Exclusively in Switzerland.
Dairy, particularly milk, remains an essential part of a one year old’s diet. For children aged between 1 and 3 years, it is widely recommended to get two to three servings of Dairy food daily in addition to a variety of foods from the remaining food groups (Breads & Cereals, Fruits and Vegetables, Meat and Pulses and Healthy fats).
Milk and dairy products provide a wide range of nutrients including protein to support the growth and maintenance of muscle, and Calcium, needed for the normal growth and development of bone in children
NIDO 1+ ORGANIC is a specialized growing up milk for toddlers 1-3 years of age. It is fortified with a range of vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, C and D, Iron, Zinc and Selenium which help support the normal functions of the immune system and Natural Fibres which support a healthy digestive system. It also contains Omega 3 and 6 which are essential fatty acids important for normal brain and cognitive development.
Benefits of Organic:
- The production respects nature.
- Products are produced in a sustainable way.
- Farm animals freely graze in the open-air and are treated according to enhanced animal welfare conditions.
- Most of the inputs for farm production come from the farm itself using local resources and local knowledge.
- Each time you buy an organic product from your supermarket, you can be sure it was produced according to strict rules aimed at respecting the environment and animal welfare.
- NIDO One plus organic is primarily sourced and processed in the Emmental region in Switzerland, and is supported by the Swiss Government and has an official AOP quality mark (Appellation d’Origine Protegée) to maintain it’s pure Swiss naturalness. All the cows used to produce this milk are almost entirely grass fed, with the grass being grown in their natural surroundings and during spring and summer, the cows go to the Alps to graze in lush natural surroundings and move to barns during winter.WHAT ABOUT REGULAR MILK?Regular Cows’ milk can be introduced from 12 months onwards as the main drink. However, it is a poor source of Iron; which is a main concern for children in the region; and is lower in many other nutrients that are often lacking in toddlers’ diets, like vitamin C, vitamin D, Zinc and essential fatty acids.And therefore, this is the added value of having an Organic specialized growing up milk for toddlers between the ages of 1 to 3 vs. regular cow’s milk.NOTE: NIDO ONE PLUS ORGANIC is not suitable for infants under the age of 1 year and it should not be used to replace breastfeeding.Source: Maria Baghdoyan, Nutritionist – Nestle Middle East.