There is an increasing awareness of the environmental impacts of animal agriculture, along with a concern for animal welfare and sustainable food choices, and a rising demand for vegan, vegetarian and plant-based diners. Plant-based lifestyles place the emphasis on whole foods, eliminating processed ones and eating fresh produce as much as possible. People are increasingly taking an interest in knowing where their food comes from and how it is produced. Plant-based is the new organic and Dubai based restaurant Soulgreen tells you how.
The first thing to know about plant-based cuisine philosophy is that is not categorical on the abolition of the animal origin product consumption, such as vegetarianism or veganism, despite the vast majority of people who adopt this lifestyle decide to eliminate the animal derivatives from their own diet too.
If vegans are driven by ethical reasons, those who follow a plant-based diet also reject everything that is processed on an industrial level and is considered unhealthy.
The principle that guides the choice is more based on the origin of the food and the methods of its production, primarily plant-based diets promote the elimination of industrially processed ingredients, including refined flours and sugars.
Those who adhere to this line of thought tend to be considered as careful and aware consumers, whose food choices are influenced by a series of factors ranging from the social responsibility of manufacturing companies to the traceability of a supply chain.
Furthermore, the philosophy behind plant-based nutrition is based on eco-sustainability and the respect of biodiversity.
A plant-based diet is more flexible and inclusive, sustainable and conscious, requiring an approach that allows you to listen to the body and everything surrounding it.
Soulgreen’s vision of plant-based:
Our intent is to meet specific needs in a world’s constant transformation. In today’s stressful and tiring lifestyle, we aim to provide a service supporting a healthy way of eating. Our kitchen can help not only ourselves but also our nature.
We believe that every single decision can have a positive impact on our planet. For this reason, we choose suppliers and manufacturers who share the same values. One of the most important values to us is sustainability. We are also commited to being eco-friendly and don’t use any plastic bottles and we choose to use compostable and biodegradable packaging. Our water is filtered and most important of all, completely free and unlimited for both still and sparkling, a true first for the UAE.
We want to concretely give back to our society some of our luck, through our “Proud To Give Back” charity program, which guarantees water and food to children in need around the world.
We were looking for a precise and well-identified idea, supporting a general and growing need to change eating habits by focusing on healthy and easily digestible foods. However, without penalizing imagination and taste at all!
5 reasons why you should opt for plant-based food
Plant-based diets are healthy, balanced from a nutritional point of view and its health benefits can help in preventing and treating certain diseases. Well-planned diets are suitable for any point in the life cycle, including pregnancy, breastfeeding, early and late childhood, adolescence, and are also chosen by many athletes.
Several recent studies have shown that the plant-based diet leads to an increase in the intake of many nutrients such as:
• beta carotene
• vitamin K
• C vitamin
• folic acid
Furthermore, this diet, which pays particular attention to the quality of the ingredients, shows benefits in terms of reduction of simple sugars, refined foods, and hydrogenated fats.
1) Reduced intake of saturated fats; saturated and trans hydrogenated fats are those most often responsible for heart disease. A plant-based diet is far lower in saturated fat than an omnivorous diet, as most of the saturated fat is contained in meats and dairy products.
The replacement of saturated fats with unsaturated fats (olive oil, flaxseed oil, walnuts, avocado) is a fundamental step to reduce the risk of heart disease. It goes without saying, moreover, that thanks to the reduced intake of saturated fats associated with a healthy and non-sedentary lifestyle, becoming vegan makes you lose weight, or can help you lose weight.
2) High levels of fiber; fruits and vegetables are naturally rich in fiber, very precious for our intestines, and able to reduce the risk of colon cancer. Their intake in the right doses can only bring benefits to the entire gastrointestinal tract.
3) High presence of antioxidants; many plant foods are very rich in antioxidants, substances that can slow down cellular aging by preventing oxidation and the formation of free radicals. Berries, spices, nuts, are just some of the types of foods richest in antioxidants.
4) Reduced cardiovascular risk and hypertension; the consumption of whole foods and nuts, the latter rich in omega-3 fats, normalizes blood pressure, and reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke. Numerous studies, nowadays, have shown the relationship between the intake of omega-3 fats and benefits for the heart and arteries: these substances are, in fact, able to prevent cardiovascular diseases.
5) Reduction of the risk of cancer; also, in this case, since meat and dairy products are known to be responsible for different types of cancer, the elimination of these products from the diet consequently reduces the risks for these diseases.
6) Reduction in the risk of type 2 diabetes; a study published recently in “Plos Medicine”, a journal of the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, confirmed that a plant-based diet, as long as it is free of sugary drinks and foods, is in able to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Research, which lasted 20 years, has in practice shown that fibers, antioxidants, unsaturated fatty acids, and micronutrients contained in plant foods play a fundamental role in the prevention of this disease.
7) Reduced impact of allergies: The most common allergies occur due to the intake of products of animal origin and their limitation allows for clear improvements in the respiratory system.